Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Travel Tales: Germany 2004, Part Three

Journal Entries in italics.

We headed to the city of Heidelberg, where we saw the castle. There were wonderful views of the entire city from there, and it was really, really beautiful. The castle itself was really cool, some of it being in ruin. They also had the SECOND largest drum of win that you can climb stairs and stand upon. I don't know if there was actually any wine in there - I would highly doubt it. No one actually uses the barrel, to the best of my knowledge anyway.

A view of the castle from below.

The giant wine barrel.

Ruins of the castle.

Lindsay and the poseidon statue.

Me by the giant wine barrel.

The view of Heidelberg from the castle.


I really liked the views best. I love scenery. From the castle we made our way down into the city and saw the big famous church that the whole town seems to be built around. It's huge, and it has all these little shops all around it. It's a pedestrian area, which is nice. No noisy cars to be a distraction!

We looked at the church and then headed to the bridge. The names of all these places are in my travel book, which unfortunately I left in the car so I'll have to get those names down tomorrow or something when I can use the book as a reference. Anyway though, the bridge offered some very nice views of the castle and of the city.


Lindsay and I with Evelyn and Gunter on the bridge.


Then we made our way to another town - the name begins with an 's' but again I don't remember. I can't recall the German words that well. They just don't come to my memory. Anyway, we viewed the palace briefly before heading to the town of Speyer to see the church.

When we were finished in Speyer, it was back to the other town to look at the palace and then have dinner. We were met by Linda and James, and we ate typical German food. Then we walked a little bit to get ice cream before heading back to go to bed and getting ready for tomorrow - Switzerland!

No comments:

 

Made by Lena