Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Travel Tales: Paris 2003, Part Five

Might as well continue, as I am on a kick and dragged out the photo album to remind myself of the trip and everything!

Thursday morning we slept in, having been up early the last two days. We discovered is was Ascension Thursday, which meant that all of a sudden Paris was crowded with tourists, which it had not been for the first couple of days. Apparantly it was a big four day weekend in Europe so people were travelling. In any case, we waited at the hotel for a phone call from Evelyn and Gunther, who were coming to see us from Germany (they live about four hours from Paris). When they arrived, we headed out with them on a little walking tour, heading over to the Marais district and the Pompideau Center (I don't think I spelled that right!). We had some drinks at a little cafe and then kept walking.

At some point, we ended up at the Eiffel Tower. One of the highlights of this was using Gunter's cell phone to call mom at work and say, "Guess where we're standing right now! Right next to the Eiffel Tower!"

We did not go up, as the aforementioned crowds were gathered in masses, and instead sought out some lunch. We ended up at a tiny little shop on a side street that happened to serve food to VERY small tables in the front (seriously, we were the only people who fit). I remember bread, oil and mozzarella cheese as the shop seemed to have more of an Italian flair than a French one.

We also headed over to a street that boasted an ornate door decorated in the French nouveau style (which I really liked at the time). It was huge, with really interesting designs all over it. After staying there for a few minutes to check it out, we just walked around a little bit more, exploring the nooks and crannies of the street. We didn't make any major discoveries, but as our twenty-four rolls of film (yes, you read that right!) attest, Lindsay and I just really liked to take pictures of the streets of Paris - something I still like to do in any foreign country I am in (buildings and street scenes are just so interesting to me!).



That evening was likely filled with even more souvenir shopping and I'm guessing from the lack of pictures of restaurants that we bought bread and cheese again to have for dinner (and perhaps I watched French Idol again... it seemed to be on every night, along with episodes in French of The Simpsons, Newsradio, Dawson's Creek and Friends - highly entertaining, especially Friends, which I knew all the words to so could understand and enjoy the French I couldn't follow!).

No comments:

 

Made by Lena