Thursday, September 6, 2007

Blast from the Not-So-Long-Ago-Past

Back in 1996, I went to stay with Jordan, Kara and Emily for a couple days (which really isn't something strange - I stay there all the time!). This time, however, we made a fantastic discovery! While looking for something to watch, we came across Telemundo, which was showing a new soap opera. We were immediately entertained by the fact that it seemed to be set in colonial times, and dubbed in Spanish from a DIFFERENT Spanish dialect (the words did not always sync with the characters' voices). We started to dub it over with English, making up our own plot lines and whatnot, most of which had to do with fans and a guy that ran the Bargain Basement where they were sold. It, of course, made absolutely no sense whatsoever, but did the trick to entertain us every night at 10 p.m. while I was there!

Anyway, today I got an email from Emily (who will soon be a new contributor to the fabulous family website world), and she told me that she and Kara had recently been watching a tape I had given them of Camp Hymelick music videos. Apparantly I had not used a blank tape and there was an episode of Dawson's Creek on after the music videos. They watched it, and then suddenly something from the Spanish channel came on! They saw that it was Xica! Emily's email really brought back some fun memories of that, so I immediately headed to youtube to see what I could find. They, of course, had some stuff.

Unless I am very much mistaken, we actually saw this scene in the very first episode we watched. I remember because we REALLY liked the character in the pink - Jose Maria (that was his name on the show, not one we made up!). I can't for the life of me remember what we dubbed it with, but I would assume we made reference to the fanning, and clearly they were having some sort of argument.



I'll have to hunt down some more scenes to see if I recognize them. Hopefully I can find the one with "the plan" (which will be explained much more when I find it)!

1 comment:

 

Made by Lena