Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Travel Tales: Paris 2003, Part Three

Day three in Paris, at which point I started writing a new novel in my journal and not describing the trip as much, began with breakfast (this time I KNOW we had breakfast!). I remember being really impressed with the breakfast the hotel put together. It was a full breakfast and it had anything you could imagine - and it came with the room! So we filled up there and met with the rest of the group and took the train over to Montmartre, which quickly became one of my favorite parts of Paris (partially because my favorite movie is Amelie, I'm sure...)

Our first stop was the Moulin Rouge, though we didn't go inside. Only the windmill is left from the original structure so it looks nothing like it does in the movie. It was a fun sight to see. According to the marquee, they were dooing a show called Feerie. Underneath the sign were the words "Le Plus Celebre French Can Can Du Monde" (I just like French words).



From there our tour guide Patrick (who was nice enough to take us on the tour for FREE, despite the fact that there was an optional tour we could pay for!), showed us the cafe from Amelie as we walked up the hilly streets of Montmartre. As we walked, he filled us in on various stories about Paris - how the streets are cleaned everyday, how old buildings were, and he pointed out various landmarks. We came across a statue of St. Denis and heard his story as well as the story of the man who got stuck in a wall (also a piece of art in Montmartre). We finally ended up by the Sacre Coeur, the highest point in Paris, where you can look down over the whole city. In the square just behind it were a multitude of artists, all painting something; some portraits, some landscapes. Everything was really pretty.



The sacre-coeur was an impressive building and I loved the view from up there. Lindsya and I stayed in Montmartre for lunch (where we had roasted chicken and french fries, I believe - I love the simplest food in Paris!), and heard and accordian playing (a man was walking down the street with it). Then we decided to walk down the "Amelie" steps (as I call them, cause they're from the part where Nino follows the arrows) and ended up down by the carousel.

From there we headed back towards the Eiffel Tower area and just explored our surroundings a little more - my favorite thing to do in foreign cities is to just walk as much as possible and look at things. We ended up over by the Louvre again, taking some pictures, but we didn't go in yet, saving it for when we had more time. Our walk continued towards the Marais district, where we found the "Big Head Statue" at St. Eustache. We took some goofy pictures there, and then just sat for a few minutes - where we encountered the world's most annoying crow! It was just behind us, hopping around in the grass and making horrible screeching sounds!



When he became too much for us, we decided to walk back to the hotel. Neither of us wanting to spend a lot of money on dinner, we decided to buy some bread and cheese on the way back to the hotel (and, in the end we also got some Nutella!). As it turned out, there were really good baguettes just around the corner from the hotel, so this became our meal on more than one night (cause there is nothing better than bread, cheese, and chocolate really, when it all comes down it!). We spent the rest of the evening back at the hotel, enjoying our baguettes (yes, we each ate a whole one!).

Some notes from my journal (because there are SOME):
I can hardly believe how fast the time is going by. Tomorrow is WEDNESDAY already. I think, however, that it may turn out to be one of my favorite days. However, today and went to Montmartre... When I get my summer apartment here, I think it may have to be in Montmartre! It's so quaint and artsy and I saw all these places that were used in the movie "Amelie." I can't wait to get all my pictures developed!

We are waiting for a phone call from Evelyn. She and Gunther are coming on Thursday and that should be a lot of fun. Lina nd I want to return to the Eiffel Tower and head to the very top - by using the elevator!

I am exhausted, but it's that great kind of exhaustion and I'm proud of it!

No comments:

 

Made by Lena